Friday, November 14, 2008

Reflection


Looking back, the process of creating, developing and subsequently updating this blog has been an interesting one. More so as this is the first blog I ever created. In the process of creating this blog, I have acquired some new skills. The theories of design, placement, writing and language all helped me tremendously as I could apply them to this blog, making it more reader friendly.


Important factors in design, such as the various principles of design, graphic aids, written cues, the use of white space, colour and typography come to mind when I was designing my blog (Reep, 2006). Those factors helped me plan and design the layout and presentation of my blog, making it more relevant to my target audience.

Besides that, one cannot ignore the power of multimodality when it comes to presenting information (Walsh, 2006) As was mentioned earlier, a multimodal based document is more engaging for the users and it draws them in, keeping them interested.

Last but not least, there are the ethical aspects of blogging especially when it comes to the picture and video publication. One must consider various the aspects of what is appropriate put out into public domain. To say that this is a grey area would be an understatement.

To round this off, I am glad to finally be part of the blogosphere. With the exciting opportunities and new possibilities that it offers, not to mention the acknowledgement of its growing influence as seems to be one of the main communication mediums of the future.

Sources

Reep, Diana C. 2006, ‘Chp 4: Principles of Document Design,’ in Technical Writing, 6th ed., Pearson Edu, Inc., New York, p.173-190.

Walsh, M. 2006,” ‘Textual shift’: Examining the reading process with print, visual and multimodal texts,” Australian Journal of Language and Literacy, vol.29, no.1, p.24-37. (UNISA electronic library)

2 comments:

ennazus said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ennazus said...

Interesting article! It has definately sparked my interest to know more about this field.. :)